Saturday, October 23, 2010

Starting

So I am trying to get this blog going and I am having a very difficult time doing it.  I have been trying to figure out what to do for a few days now and couldn't really figure it out.  I finally came to the conclusion that I simply had to start.  So I put a couple of things together and it started working out.  I was trying to figure what to do for my first post and decide I might as well do it on starting.

This week we had a meeting with some other missionaries and were talking about Faith and Hope and why they are so connected.  I believe that Hope is what makes you act, you hope that you will be able to reach your goal (I hoped that I would be able to make a blog).  So once you have Hope you use it to motivate you to have Faith.  I had Faith by starting and actually doing something to get this blog going.  Once I started going I saw the results of my Faith, my Hope was becoming a reality, so then I was even more motivated to keep going, always keeping the Hope of what I wanted in mind.

I went to our church website and I just searched for anything with the word "starting".  I was surprised, there were over 12,000 results.  I picked one of the first ones and found "The Important Thing Is to Start".  It is a fictional story that shows how Joyce, a teenage girl, exercised her Faith to start her family on the path to having food storage.  Check it out.  It really puts this principle in a very realistic situation.
 
A story often used to emphasize action as part of Faith comes from  Joshua chapter 3 in the Old Testament.  The people of Israel are supposed to cross the river Jordan but God doesn't clear the path first.  It isn't until after the priests step into the water that the way is opened for them to cross on dry ground.  We "receive no witness until after the trial of [our] faith."  A few days ago I was looking in my study journal and I read that Faith is trust enough to act.  President Henry B. Eyring's talk in the recent general conference really showed the truth of this.  I love the title of his talk: Trust in God, Then Go and Do.  We need to trust God's guidance, whether we receive it through the scriptures, the prophet, or whatever, enough to Go and Do.  Once we start using our Faith we will be able to see fruit. 

So I am going to exercise my Faith and start this blog.  I Hope that I will be able to see it all work out.     

2 comments:

  1. So this is my first time ever posting a blog. Please bear with me as I figure out how to do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think this may be a bit too long, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I will enjoy following you. I will have my boys follow as well. You guys are such a great example to them. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete